Sunday, November 9, 2014

Thanksgiving Squash Recipe



Here is one of my favorite throw together recipes for your Thanksgiving meal (or just to eat on a cold fall day!!)  It uses my harvest bounty:
 
Buttercup Squash

 
Apples off the neighbors' tree
 
 
First peel the squash and chop into random smaller pieces.  Then do the same to the apples. 
 

 
Sometimes I do not peel the apples.  However, at the end, if you want smooth consistency, you will want to peel them. 
 
**Now, I can't stand to waste all those apple peels, so here is a recipe to use them for jelly:  http://www.food.com/recipe/apple-core-and-peeling-jelly-99636?soc=pinterest -- A few notes:  Because it is peels, yes they get soft, but are still thick peels, so I did throw mine in the blender, then tied up the cheesecloth to let the juice drip out.  And instead of adding water to make 7 cups at the end, just poured water thru the cheesecloth to try and take as much apple with me as possible.  Again, I hate to waste any part of those delicious apples!!  The jelly ended up super yummy ~ Sunday School teacher gifts?***
 
So, anyway, butter (real butter) up the bottom of the casserole dish.  Add squash and apples. (**I have done this recipe with canned peaches or apricots, fresh peaches, and raisins.  I like them all.***)  Add a dash or so of cinnamon, a tablespoon or so of butter, and a tablespoon or so of brown sugar.  These are all to taste.  If you want a hint of those flavors, try less; if you want them more thick and syrupy, go for more!!  Pop on the cover, put in the oven at 350, bake for one hour (or until soft enough to mash.)
 
 
 
What you end up getting at the end is pictured on the left - the right side is all mashed up. 
 

Then I add the cranberries and walnuts at the end, either I put the dish back into the oven on broil and brown/warm those up a bit, or I have also put the mashed squapples into a pretty serving dish and sprinkle those on top.  **OR, I have thought of this recently, one could also chop the bits up finer at the beginning, not mash them, just stir the craisins and nuts in and serve a more chunky dish.  I think I would pull the casserole out at like 35 minutes a check.  I don't think I would want them as soft as I usually bake to mash them.**

So that's my twist on the good ol' Thanksgiving squash side that I lovity love love!  Hope you and your family do as well!!



Recipe:

  • 1 Buttercup Squash, peeled and diced to desired thickness
  • 2-4 Medium Apples, peeled (or not) and diced to desired thickness.
    • Apples can be substituted for fresh or canned peaches, apricots, or raisins.
  • 1 Tablespoon (or so) of butter, plus some to butter the dish
  • 1 Tablespoon (or so) brown sugar
  • 1 dash (or so) cinnamon
  • Craisins/Roasted Walnuts (Pecans or an oatmeal based streusel can also be used.)
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until desired tenderness.  Mash (or not) and add desired topping. 

Happy Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment